Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thanks for the Memories, Wauchula - Part 3

If I recounted all my adventures on the “little side,” there wouldn't be room enough in the memoir, so I'll invite you to join me for a few memories of the second four grades.


It was a proud day when I was promoted to fifth grade and the “big side.”   For recess and physical education, we had a clay basketball court and the chinning bars.  I also lost a lot of marbles playing for keeps.  A lot happened in those four years, but I just want to mention a couple of things.  My most memorable grade was Mrs. MacDonald's fifth grade class.  One day one of the boys brought to class a beautiful white model sailboat.  During activity period, Mrs. Mac asked him to pass it around and let everyone get a good look.  One of the boys, Johnny Rhoden, colored the boat with a red crayon.   When his artwork was discovered, Mrs. MacDonald said, “Johnny, how would you like someone to do that to your property?”



“Well, Mrs. MacDonald,' he answered, “you've made some of my property red.”



Mrs. Mac burst into laughter and said, “Johnny, you always have to get the last word, don't you?”



Wauchula was blessed in the 40s and 50s to have not only a walk-in theatre but a drive-in theatre as well.  My other most memorable event that year was the talent show between the double feature on Friday night one week at the walk-in movie.  All week long one of the girls practiced singing a country song and yodeling at activity period.  



I'd been a singer all my life, and I thought I could do just as well.  So Friday night before the first feature, I screwed up my courage and found the manager of the theatre.  “I'd like to be in the talent show tonight.”



“Okay,” he said, and added my name to his list.



When the show began, several acts performed, including the young lady from my class.  Finally the master of ceremonies, I believe Albert Lane, called my name.



With some trepidation I made my way out on the stage and sang, without accompaniment, “There's a Tree in the Meadow.”  I was shocked when the audience, by their applause, awarded me third prize.  I had been stagestruck since my small speaking part in the first grade play.  Now I began dreaming of Hollywood.  I wish I could say I was sorry my classmate didn't win a prize, but I'm afraid my ego was too out-sized after my own triumph.  My dad bragged about my win to everyone he met that week, and I bathed in his praise.


***********Part 4 Coming Soon***********

No comments:

Post a Comment